Wisdom Tooth Removal, When is it Needed?
When your wisdom tooth causes problems, or when X-rays show that they might be down the line and removal is required. Other reasons include :
- Damage to other teeth : That extra set of molars can push your other teeth around, causing mouth pain and problems biting.
- Jaw damage : Cysts can form around the new teeth. If they aren’t treated, they can hollow out your jaw and damage nerves.
- Sinus Issues : Problems with wisdom teeth can lead to sinus pain, pressure, and congestion.
- Inflamed Gums : Tissue around the area can swell and may be hard to clean.
- Cavities : Swollen gums can create pockets between teeth that help bacteria grow and cavities form.
- Alignment : Impacted wisdom teeth can cause problems with crowding, of other teeth, and even require treatment to straighten other teeth necessary.
How Much Do Wisdom Tooth Procedures Cost?
A wisdom tooth extraction starts from $150.
Wisdom tooth surgery rates are as follow :
Lower wisdom tooth – $1250
Upper wisdom tooth – $650 – 1250
Upper and lower wisdom teeth (one side) – $1850 – $2150
All 4 wisdom teeth – $2900
The entire surgical cost can be offset with Medisave claims. 8% GST can be paid through cash, NETS, or credit card arrangement.
Your Dentist Recommends To Have Your Wisdom Tooth Removed Although You Don’t Feel Pain.
So Why Remove Them?
These days, oral surgery to remove wisdom teeth is a standard practice – almost a rite of passage for young adults.
Just because your wisdom teeth is not a source of pain doesn’t mean that there is nothing wrong. The teeth could be stuck, or impacted. This means they can’t break through your jaw and into your mouth. This could be due to a small mouth that doesn’t have enough room for your wisdom teeth, or the teeth could be growing at an odd angle leaning on other teeth. This can damage the adjacent tooth if it is being pushed by your wisdom tooth.
Some dentists take out healthy molars to prevent problems later on. As you age, the bones in your mouth get harder. That makes your teeth tougher to remove.
If you wait, you could have problems after surgery that range from heavy bleeding and fractured teeth to severe numbness and minor loss of movement in your jaw. These troubles could last a few days or a lifetime.
Every individual has their own unique set of teeth. Hence, at Smile Central our dentists will look at the shape of your mouth and the position of your teeth to make a decision. Your age plays a role, too.
You can come in for a non-obligatory consultation for a professional analysis. If you feel pain, notice swelling or detect odour near your back teeth, it could be time to reach out for professional advice.